Tekst van Vademecum voor Nederlands-Nieuw-Guinea, 1956 komt binnenkort!
Capital of the division of South New Guinea and the Merauke subdivision.
Source: Handbook on Netherlands New Guinea, 1958
Merauke is the capital of the Division of South New Guinea and of the subdivision of Merauke. It has
been built on a number of sandbars, stretching along the beach. Excepting these small elevations, this
part of the southern lowlands is almost flat. Here the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart established their
first station in 1905. Merauke has since been an important mission center.
The Kumbe experimental rice farm is located at some 18 miles from here. It has caused much extra
activity in the town. Merauke is also the site of an important stock breeding project.
Once every four weeks vessels of the Royal Packet Steamship Company call at the port carrying goods
from Hollandia and Sorong. Once every week there is a connection by air with Hollandia.
Links naar photo's en verhalen komen binnenkort.
Links to photos and stories to follow soon.
Back to Towns and Villages
Last updated October 28, 2003